Sunday, November 1, 2009

To Share, or Not to Share...

Yesterday was Halloween and I took my little two year old Trick-or-Treating. He was the cutest little triceratops I had ever seen; green face included. We only went down one street and back and at the end he was so pleased with his small little bucket of candy. When we returned to my friends house for a party, some guy walked up to my little guys candy and started rummaging through it. I saw him and politely said, “Hey that is my little guy’s candy.” A little embarrassed he said he just wanted a piece innocently. I told him that it was my little boy’s to share not mine. He was appalled that I would not just let him pick out all he pleased. He said, “I take all my kids candy!”

I quickly found Josiah, and asked him if he wanted to share his candy. With a big smile he said, “Yes.” We walked together, with his bucket of candy, over to this guy Josiah had never seen, and he gleefully let the man pick one.

I have a few problems with this whole interaction. First, who walks up to someone else’s bag of candy and just starts helping themselves? If it was his kids, or even someone he knew at all, ok. But, we didn’t even know this guy. Second, my son is 2. He got the smallest bag of any kid there (he was also the littlest of any kid there) and worked hard to walk an entire street, down and back, in this neighborhood. I think this warranted it being his decision to then turn around and let some stranger dig through it.

So, am I just some kind of protective mom who watched her little dinosaur delighted with the 10 candies he got and didn't want it stolen? Or, am I being picky by not just sharing, because Josiah would have never known anyway?

Either way, this dude was just rude.

No comments:

Post a Comment